Sunday, August 8, 2010

Try, try again...

Peach Pie Round 2!

In preparation for my second attempt at peach pie, I actually purchased the peaches in advance.  They (the peaches) spent half the week cuddled up in a bag with a friendly banana.  By Saturday morning, they were ripe, sweet-smelling, and just this side of soft.

Already off to a better start.

Ripe and rosy

After a quick blanch, they peeled like a dream, and I learned just how slippery a skinned peach can be.  If I did this professionally, could I get hazard pay for having to use a knife on a peeled peach?  On the upside, I got to snack on all the pieces that slipped into the sink.  Tasty.

Naked peaches

The peaches put out a lot of juice when mixed with the rest of the filling ingredients.  Unfortunately, I may have been overeager with the quantity of peaches because when I poured the filling into the bottom crust, the juice runneth over.
Possible solutions?  Remove some of the filling, or use a solid rather than a lattice crust to seal in the juice.  Removing filling from a pie just feels criminal, so I went with a solid top crust.  And voila!

Peach Pie, the second

This pie was delivered yesterday afternoon in exchange for a lovely boat ride and a nice glass of wine.  I'm pretty sure I got the better deal.  ;-)

Taste report to come tomorrow...

Update 8/9/10: The pie got good reviews on taste, and it wasn't too soupy!  We'll tally that in the success column.

No comments:

Post a Comment