Tuesday, August 3, 2010

If at first you don't succeed...

or a short treatise on why peaches and apples are not the same.

Yesterday, I subjected two of my friends to taste-testing my first try (and therefore experimental) peach pie.

It turns out that unripe peaches, though similar in texture to apples, are not as structurally similar to apples as one (read I) might think.  Bake an apple, and it becomes starchy mush.  Bake an unripe peach, and it becomes... unripe peach, just a bit rubbery.

The pie sliced well, enough juice without being soup.  The crust held together and had good flake.  So far, so good.

Deceptively pretty

Ah, but then comes the taste test.  Crust?  Fine.  Seasoning?  Mmm, tasty.

Peaches?  Bleurgh.  Not only are they fairly flavorless, they resemble nothing so much as undercooked squash.

Peach pellets


A peach pie with a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad, un-peach-like peach filling?  On a scale of delicious to disgusting, this was definitely close to my mother's meatless* meatloaf.  Sorry Mom.



In preparation for Peach Pie: Round Two, I have purchased more peaches and introduced them to a nice banana, in the hope that they'll be sweet mushy friends by this weekend.

Stay tuned.





*Meatless meatloaf- think loaf of whole-grain bread, warm, soggy, and topped with ketchup

2 comments:

  1. I miss you even if you would have tried to feed me gross peaches baked into something that resembles pie but isn't

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have made it up to you with cookies afterward. ;-)

    ReplyDelete